At stake in this Referendum:
- Voters would decide whether they wish to alter the government structure to allow more autonomy in Corsica.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Jacques CHIRAC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jean-Pierre RAFFARIN
- Assembly: Corsica (part of France) has a bicameral Parliament (Parlement) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 321 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 577 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to allow more autonomy within Corsica
Establishment of a single territorial assembly and eliminating the current structure of two regional councils.
The territorial assembly would consist of 81 seats and would manage isues such as its economy, energy consumption, transporation and regional aid policies.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 260,000 ( approx.)
- Registered Voters: 189,971 ( 2003 )