At stake in this election:
- 500 seats in the House of Representatives (Sapha Phuthaen Ratsadon)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King BHUMIBOL Adulyadej
- Head of Government: Prime Minister THAKSIN Shinawatra
- Assembly: Thailand has a bicameral Bicameral National Assembly consisting of the Senate (Wuthisapha) with 200 seats and the House of Representatives (Sapha Phuthaen Ratsadon) with 500 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The King is hereditary N/A.
- In the Senate (Wuthisapha) 200 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms. In the House of Representatives (Sapha Phuthaen Ratsadon), 400 members are elected by simple majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 100 members are elected by party list to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the First Round of the electoral race:
- Party: Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT)*
Leader: THAKSIN Shinawatra
Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 376
* On February 27, Thailand