At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Burkina Faso
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Blaise COMPAORE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kadre Desire OUEDRAOGO
- Assembly: Burkina Faso has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 111 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 7-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) 111 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Blaise COMPAORE
Party: Congress for Democracy and Progress (CDP)
- Ram OUEDRAOGO
Party: Union of Greens for the Development of Burkina
- Frederic GUIRMA
Party: Front of Refusal of the Democratic African Assembly
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on December 1, 1991. In this election, Blaise COMPAORE received over 85% of the vote and thus won the election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 11,266,393 (July 1998 est.)
- Registered Voters: 4,210,134 ( 1998 )