At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Timor-Leste
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Jose RAMOS-HORTA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kay Rala Xanana GUSMAO
- Assembly: Timor-Leste has a unicameral National Parliament with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Parliament 65 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** There is one, nationwide constituency and a 3 percent threshold for entering parliament. Each list must contain the names of 65 candidates and no fewer than 25 alternate candidates. In addition, every fourth candidate on a list must be female. (Law 6/2006 Article 12 (3) Seats are allocated using the d'Hondt method.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Francisco GUTERRES
Party: Revolutionary Front of an Independent Timor-Leste / rente Revolucionária de Timor-Leste Independente (FRETILIN)
- Taur MATAN RUAK
Party: National Congress for Timorese Reconstruction / Conselho Nacional de Reconstrução do Timor (CNRT)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,177,834 (July 2011 )
- Registered Voters: 627,295 (March 2012 )