At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Chile
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Michelle BACHELET *
- Head of Government: President Michelle BACHELET
- Assembly: Chile has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 48 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 120 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 1-year term.
- President is elected by popular vote to serve a 1-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado), 38 members are elected by popular vote to serve 8-year terms and 10 members are designated *. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) 120 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
* One-half of the members in the Senate are elected every four years.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Miguel Juan Sebastián PINERA Echenique
Party: National Renewal (RN) / Renovación Nacional
- Eduardo Frei RUIZ-TAGLE
Party: Christian Democrat Party of Chilie / Partido Demócrata Cristiano de Chile
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 16,601,707 (July 2009 est.)
- Registered Voters: 8,285,186 (January 2010 )