At stake in this election:
- 12 seats in the Senate (Sénat)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President René PREVAL
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Michèle PIERRE-LOUIS
- Assembly: Haiti has a bicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 30 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Chambre des Députés) with 99 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is nominated by the President.
- In the Senate (Sénat) 30 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Chambre des Députés) 99 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms. One-third of the Senate is elected every two years. The electoral system is two-round.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,203,083 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 4,223,219