At stake in this election:
- 12 seats in the Senate (Sénat)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President René PREVAL
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Michèle PIERRE-LOUIS
- Assembly: Haiti has a bicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 30 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Chambre des Députés) with 99 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is nominated by the President.
- In the Senate (Sénat) 30 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Chambre des Députés) 99 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms. One-third of the Senate is elected every two years. The electoral system is two-round.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,852,953 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 4,223,219
· Female Population: 4,982,795 (2009)
· Is Haiti a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Haiti ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 July 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 4 (Chamber of Deputies); 4 (Senate) following 2006 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 163
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium
· Is Haiti a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Haiti ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (23 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,411,421 (est.)