At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Paraguay
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Federico FRANCO Gómez *
- Head of Government: President Federico FRANCO Gómez **
- Assembly: Paraguay has a bicameral Congress (Congreso) consisting of the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) with 45 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 80 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
** President-Elect Horacio CARTES will be inaugurated in August 2013.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) 45 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) 80 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Horacio CARTES
Party: Colorado Party / Partito Colorado
- Efraín ALEGRE
Party: Authentic Radical Liberal Party (PLRA) / Partido Liberal Radical Auténtico
- Mario FERREIRO***
Coalition: Forward Country (AP) / Avanza Pais
- Miguel CARRIZOSA
Party: Beloved Fatherland (PQ) / Patria Querida
- Anibal CARRILLO*****
Coalition: Front Guasu (FG) / Frente Guasú
*** AP is a coalition of opposition parties.
***** FG is a coalition of center-left and left opposition parties supported by former President Fernando Lugo.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 6,568,290 ( 2011 est.)
- Registered Voters: 3,516,275 ( 2013 )