At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Peru
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alan GARCIA Pérez
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Rosario Del Pilar FERNANDEZ Figueroa
- Assembly: Peru has a unicameral Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica del Peru) with 120 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica del Peru) 120 members are elected by open list proportional representation in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the First Round of the Presidential race:
- Ollanta Moises HUMALA Tasso*
Alliance: Alianza Gana Peru
- Alejandro TOLEDO Manrique**
Alliance: Alianza Peru Posible
- Pedro Pablo KUCZYNSKI***
Alliance: Alianza por el Gran Cambio
- Oscar Luis CASTANEDA Lossio****
Alliance: National Solidarity Alliance / Alianza Solidaridad Nacional
- Keiko Sofia FUJIMORI Higuchi*****
Alliance: Fuerza 2011 / Fuerza 2011
- Humberto PINAZO Bella
Party: Justicia, Tecnologia, Ecologia
- Ricardo Manuel NORIEGA
Party: Partido Despertar Nacional
- Jose NIQUE DE LA PUENTE
Party: Partido Fonavista del Peru
- Juliana Edith REYMER Rodriquez
Party: Partido Fuerza Nacional
- Rafael Luis BELAUNDE Aubry
Party: Partido Politico Adelante
* The alliance is made up of Partido Nacionalista Peruano.
** The alliance is made up of Accion Popular, Partido Democratico Somos Peru, and Peru Posible.
*** The alliance is made up of Alianza para el Progreso, Partido Humanista Peruano, Partido Popular Peruano, and Restauracion Nacional.
**** The alliance is made up of Cambio 90, Partido Solidaridad Nacional, Siempre Unidos, Todos por el Peru, and Union por el Peru.
***** The alliance is made up of Fuerza 2011 and Renovacion Nacional.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 29,546,963 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 19,949,915 (April 2010 )