At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Central African Republic
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Francois BOZIZE *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Faustin-Archange TOUADERA
- Assembly: Central African Republic has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 105 seats.
* The president can be elected for a maximum of 2 terms. Francois Bozize became president after a military coup deposed Ange-Felix Patasse on March 13, 2003.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 6-year term.
- Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) 105 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** If no candidate receives an absolute majority in the first round, a second round is held between the top two candidates.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Francois BOZIZE
Party: National Convergence / Convergence Nationale "Kwa Na Kwa" (KNK)
- Martin ZIGUELE
Party: Movement for the Liberation of the Central African People / Mouvement pour la Libération du Peuple Centrafricain (MLPC)
- Ange-Félix PATASSE
- Jean-Jaques DEMOFOUTH
Party: People's Army for the Restoration of Democracy / L’Armée Populaire pour la restauration de la république et la démocratie (APRD)
- Emile Gros Raymond NAKOMBO
Party: Central African Democratic Rally / Rassemblement Démocratique Centrafricain
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,844,927 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 1,825,735 (January 2011 )
· Female Population: 2,298,914 (2011)
· Is Central African Republic a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Central African Republic ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (21 June 1991)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 187
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High
· Is Central African Republic a signatory to CRPD: Yes (9 May 2007)
· Has Central African Republic ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 726,739 (est.)