At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Chad
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Lt. Gen. Idriss DEBY
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Pascal YOADIMNADJI
- Assembly: Chad has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 155 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 155 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** A Party Block Vote in multi-member districts is used if a list gains an absolute majority of the vote. If no list obtains the majority of the vote, members are elected through party-list proportional representation.
* has not yet been created and size is unspecified, members to serve six-year terms, one-third of membership renewable every two years.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Idriss DEBY Itno
Party: Patriotic Salvation Movement / Mouvement Patriotique de Salut (MPS)
- Kassire COUMAKOYE
Party: Viva National Rally for Democracy and Progress / VIVA-Rassemblement National pour le Développement et le Progrès (Viva RNDP)
- Pahimi PADACKET Albert
Party: Rally for the Nationalists for the Development of Chad/Redemption / Rassemblement des Nationalistes pour le Développement du Tchad/le Réveil
- Mahamat ABDOULAYE
Party: Chad Movement for Democracy / Mouvement Tchadien pour la Démocratie
- Ibrahim KOULAMALLAH
Party: New African Socialist Movement party / Socialiste Africain Rénové
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on May 20, 2001. Idriss DEBY was reelected president with 63.17% of the vote, while runner-up Ngarlegy YORONGAR obtained 16.35%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,944,201 (July 2006 est.)
- Registered Voters: 5,697,922 (March 2006 )
· Female Population: 5,218,386 (2006)
· Is Chad a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Chad ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (9 June 1995)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 9 (following 2002 parliamentary elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 185
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High
· Is Chad a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2012)
· Has Chad ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 1,491,630 (est.)